- use of graphics (including countdown and names of drugs in title sequence)
- title sequence
- images of drugs
- contrast between studio lighting and natural lighting (also a technical code)
- facial expression - serious tone of programme
- informal dress codes of 'experts'
- newsreader's voice
- voiceover narration
- archive footage of news
- use of close-ups/extreme close-ups
- editing (use of fades/dissolves, slow motion, jump cuts)
- use of music
- filming techniques to emphasise constructed nature if the programme.
- factual/documentary nature of the programme
- informative voiceover
- vox pop interviews
- use of interviews with experts
- use of different types of footage appropriate to the documentary/factual programme (archive, vox pop, visual images relating to the subject matter of the programme)
- use of (dramatic) images relating to the subject matter
- subject-specific lexis to establish the tone of the programme.
Audiences that you could have included:
- regular viewers of the Horizon documentary series
- the presentation of the programme (attempting to appeal to a younger audience)
- the presentation of the programme (attempting to make the subject matter dramatic)
- informative/serious tone of the programme
- Close-ups/extreme close-ups/editing - attempting to attract a younger audience/making the documentary interesting for regular documentary viewers
- information delivered in a range of ways.
Responses that you could have included linking with your own examples:
- use of technical and audio codes e.g. camera shots, editing, sound (audio-visual texts)
- layout and design (print texts).
- language and mode of address
- use of images
- use of stars, celebrities, presenters etc.
- presentation of subject matter.
- Best answers should always refer to purpose and effect.
Popular examples from previous past papers included:
- body image
The best answers for question 3 should introduce the concept, demonstrate understanding of representation through the analysis of specific media texts and then summed up the points in a conclusion. Also the best responses should discuss the chosen issue with reference to detailed examples from a range of formats and to show a more perceptive understanding of representation as a media concept incorporating: context, ideology, construction and mediation.
WE WILL GO OVER THIS NEXT WEEK BUT PLEASE NOTE DOWN ANY ELEMENTS THAT YOU MISSED.